Bound album from the Williams College class of 1887. Embossed on the front in gold 'Williams 87, Charles G. Bigelow, Jr.' Contains 78 cabinet cards, all by Pach Bros of New York. With Pach's photographic logo mount recto on each. Appears to be of both students and some faculty. In addition, there are six group images approximately 7-1/2 x 8 each of students, most likely showing the different collegiate organizations. One of the six shows students with musical instruments, possibly the school band.
Williams College, at Williamstown, Mass.; coeducational; chartered 1785, opened as a free school 1791, became a college 1793, named for Ephraim Williams. The Williams campus, noted for its fine old buildings, includes West College (1790), the Van Rensselaer Manor House (moved from Albany, N.Y.), and the oldest U.S. observatory (Hopkins; 1838). Williams College was the first to establish an institute of politics (maintained until 1934). The Chapin Library of Rare Books houses important books, manuscripts, and prints relating to Americana, English literature, and early painting. There is a fine art museum.
$1,000 No. 2501